People who are responsible for tracking and managing the existence and location of assets are challenged by large warehouses and storage yards. To make matters more difficult, some assets continually move. What is needed is a simple easy way to identify an asset’s last known location and movements within a facility. The solution requires a simple-to-use, smart application capable of identifying assets, while at the same time limiting network traffic.
The challenge for asset managers is four-fold:
- Do we have the asset?
- Where is the asset?
- How can we limit network traffic to track assets?
- What is the required learning curve for asset tracking software?
Often, within a large facility, assets are difficult to track due to storage at height, vast areas, large quantities, and regular movement – requiring someone to search for several minutes or more to locate the asset(s). Assets could be equipment within a hospital, products inside a fulfillment warehouse, documents at a government agency, the servers at a data center and more.
During the tracking process, most scanners continue to report RFID tag-reads until the RFID tag goes out of the reader’s range, flooding networks with redundant RFID tag read traffic and overloading local systems.
EDP’s patented Origin RFID scanning software combined with the EnaSys asset tracking software solves many challenges facing companies who require up-to-date, thorough asset tracking. Origin increases the asset-tracking logic by adding intelligence to the scanner process and lowering network traffic. EnaSys simplifies the management interface for tracking assets.
- Origin portals located at strategic points passively scan assets as they move past fixed scanners
- Small Origin scanners attached to a drone can quickly access hard-to-reach areas
- If scanning occurs in a network dead zone, data is cached until the drone reconnects to the network
- Technicians with hand scanners can actively scan selective areas to locate assets: identifying existence, location, and who last “touched” the asset
- Location tags are placed throughout a facility for accurate mobile location identification
- A single event is sent by the scanner for each asset viewed by an Origin scanner
- Origin scanners auto-register with the EnaSys software, limiting configuration requirements
EDP’s Origin scanning software and EnaSys asset management software are built based on many years of asset tracking knowledge. The software combination of Origin and EnaSys convert complex scanning logic into simple tracking events. Optimize tracking workflows and eliminate frustration and unnecessary costs by identifying an asset’s existence and location.
To learn more, contact us today.